Friday, October 12, 2012

when dreams FAde

Dream -  a vision voluntarily indulged in while awake.  Whether spoken or living merely in the depths of your mind, I wonder if you realize your dreams are alive and are a part of your very being.  Everyone has a dream - some are more outlandish, the kind you know will only live in your mind.  And then there are those you expect and wait for with much anticipation. 

As a society, we encourage and promote each other to have dreams.  It is one of the first things we teach or want to teach our children.  At least I know that is what I wanted for my children.  I pushed for them to dream - and dream big!  Why not?  The world was their blank canvas and they could create whatever world they wanted.

But what happens when a thief comes to your home in the middle of the night and steals your dreams? 

Let me tell you, this CAN happen.  And you don't have a choice what dreams you are robbed of - you just wake up and they are gone.  But dreams aren't like jewels - the biggest most outlandish dreams are not the ones you cherish the most and they are also not the dreams the dream thief goes after.  And sometimes, the dream thief takes so many you can't begin to inventory the damage.  We inventory so many things in our life but nobody told us we just MAY have to inventory our dreams!

Fred is the name of my dream robber.  One night he came into our home and took not only the dreams that belonged to me but the dreams of my husband and more importantly the dreams of my son.  Having dreams stolen from under your nose is one thing but when the dreams of your child are taken, that packs a powerful punch.

So now what?  Do I dare to create new dreams?  Just thinking about it makes my stomach churn.  Fred scares me!  He lurks everywhere and he doesn't deserve any more of our dreams.  He stalks us everyday but his violation in our life is not something that can be contained with a restraining order.  He is free to roam and pick off our dreams whenever he chooses and as often as he wants. 

As much as I hate Fred, I have found something he is unable to take from me.  It is something I do not even have to hide from him or anyone for that matter.  My love for God is my most precious "possession".  Without Him, I would not have my husband, my son, or my daughter.  How can my love for Him not continue to shine?  I have mourned the loss of the dreams that have gone missing and I turn my focus on what I do have - my faith along with my husband and two beautiful children.  There are so many things in life I don't know but what if...what IF that night in 2011 a different thief was sent to my home?  What if that thief was a thief of life name Death and God interceded and allowed Fred entry to my home instead? 

Thank you Lord for the gift of another day.  It is all because of YOU my life has any meaning.

1 comment:

  1. Whew! You know how much I freaking hate Fred. But what a powerful statement: "What if that thief was a thief of life name Death and God interceded and allowed Fred entry to my home instead?" Thanks for reminding me of perspective. It can be a pretty powerful thing. LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete