Monday, October 15, 2012

Who is that sleeping in my bed?

As a general rule of thumb, I am a light sleeper when it comes to "strange" noises or anything out of the norm.  I have to preface the things that would typically wake me up because over the years I became used to my husband coming home at all hours of the night.  Somehow as time passed and I became more and more used to him coming home after I was sleeping, I no longer woke up to that specific interruption.  I learned a stranger could possibly crawl in bed with me and I wouldn't wake up (which seemed a bit unnerving).  But if that stranger made one wrong step - THAT would command my attention. 

One of my favorite Cottleville memories is when we first moved into our new home.  Each night we would go through the nightly bedtime ritual of tucking in and singing "You Are My Sunshine" -  Justin in his cute little Dalmatian pajamas and Jaime in her pink silky nightgown.  They would drift into dreamland so beautifully and peacefully (sleeping babies are so innocent and beautiful!!).  I would go on my night in my normal fashion and before I would head off to bed myself, I would check on my kids to make sure they are sleeping soundly.  And they always were.

But to my surprise, most mornings I would wake up with someone sleeping in my bed!  Confused yet content I would find myself intertwined with my blond haired little intruder.  How I loved that feeling - he was warm and cuddly.  I can even remember some mornings waking up sweating because we were almost too warm but not wanting to move because I loved the feeling of him being there snuggled up to me.  Having your child find comfort in you - man I love that feeling! 

With my sleeping habits what they were, I was quite surprised NOT to wake up when Justin was getting out of his bed though.  As much as I enjoyed waking up to find such a sweet little thing crawled up in bed with me, I was just as concerned.  Was he sleep-walking and I was this awful mother that wasn't waking up to protect him?  After all, his dad used to sleep walk.  My mind would play out several scenarios and true to form, none of them had a good ending.  Oftentimes, I ended up feeling like a bad mom.  UNTIL...

Justin finally made his "move in the night" at the wrong time.  I was lying on my side with my back to the middle of the bed when it "felt" like someone was staring at me.  Without moving, my eyes popped open to witness my 5 year old son oh so carefully lifting one leg in the slowest of slow motions onto my bed.  He was so careful to not make a sound or move the bed and watching the concentration on his face - it still makes me chuckle today!  My sweet little guy was not sleep-walking after all.  He was purposefully and carefully crawling into our bed incognito.  And it was precious.

If we could go back in time and select moments to relive, this would be one I would pick.  (The cuddling part and the catching him - both were great).

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story. A girl and I were talking about snuggling with our kids this morning. She made the comment that she loved the smell of get daughters sweet, yet stinky breath. I said I had a similar thought a couple of days ago that no one else would appreciate the stinky breath nearly as much as I do!

    I bet you would love to have that boy still snuggle up with you! My guess is that there will definitely be more opportunities for snuggling that guy. ;). If not, I have 2 princesses at my house that would love to snuggle you!!

    ReplyDelete